Criteria for funding
To obtain funding from the MSS for your club, you must meet the following criteria:
- Be recognized as an Official Club status by the MSS
- Provide a budget with the projected incomes and expenses for the semester
- Have a bank account held by the club under MSS authority
- (For returning clubs) Provide a budget of the past semester of incomes, expenses, and a current account balance
- (For returning clubs) Provide all relevant information such as attendance lists to calculate club activity
New clubs funding
Every semester, a minimum of five percents of the clubs allocated budget is reserved for new clubs who are applying for funding. The allocated amount will be distributed equally among new clubs
The exact amount of allocated for new clubs is adopted by the VP Student Affairs at the beginning of every semester and approved by the general council. This amount depends on the following criteria:
- Financial needs of returning clubs
- Submitted budgets of new clubs
- Number of new clubs
- Budgeted amount of the MSS allocated for clubs
Returning clubs funding
The funding allocated to each club is based on club activity and measured by units of event-attendance, one person attending to one event being equal to 1 event-attendance. Every semester the funding is prorated to the amount of event-attendances a club has accumulated during the previous semester.
The number of event-attendances of a club is determined by the total number of attendances to all the club’s events during the semester. For example, if a club had 10 events where there was 10 members attending at each event, this would be equal to 100 event-attendances. Alternatively, if a club had 2 events with 50 members attending at each events, they would also have 100 event-attendances for the semester.
Funding for club A = ( [total funding for returning clubs]/[total event-attendances of all clubs] ) x [event-attendances of club A]
Every semester, at least five percents of the clubs allocated budget is reserved for special projects. A special project can be defined as an event or an activity organized by one or several clubs that requires special financial needs and that provides club members with an exceptional opportunity in accordance to the clubs mission statement. The nature of the special project should be exceptional in the sense that the opportunity is unique for the club: it should not happen every year.
The purpose of this fund is to provide additional financial income if they want to organize a special event or activity. The exact amount allocated for this fund will be determined by the VP Student Affairs every semester, at the same time that funding will be distributed. Clubs who wish to apply for this fund can do so in their funding application. The amount allocated for each club will be determined by the following criteria:
- Financial needs of the club
- Nature of the special project
- Benefits for club members and value of opportunity for all MSS members
- Importance and the unique character of the project
- Concreteness of your project and steps already undertaken for its organization
For initiatives or events that might benefit more than MSS members, club executives are invited to apply for the SPCI fund.